Minutes of Committee Meeting 05 March 2007

with No Comments

Members
Present:

Caroline Webb

P

Kevan Ebbrell

P

Chris Bell

P

Liz Hird

P

Chris Thistlethwaite

A

Martin Dale

P

Clive Bell

P

Mike Penn

A

Darren Hartley

A

Mike Sissons

A

John Wiseman

P

Sue Denmark.

P

Tony Mitchell

P

P
– Present

A
– Apologies

Matters
Arising from previous Meeting
: Nil.

Secretary’s
Report:

Nothing
to report

Booking
Secretary
:

Nothing
to report

Treasurer:

Nothing
to report.

John
Wiseman gave £8 payment from the Cheshire swap to treasurer.

Membership
Secretary:

A
introductory application has been received from Ralph Wood –
Accepted.

Several
membership payments were passed to the treasurer but there are still
a few memberships to be paid/checked.

Kevin
Stevens has been in touch to check if he is still a member of the
club – under club rules he had been struck off last year due to
non-payment of his membership fee and so the committee restated that
he will have to redo his introductory year.

Langdale:

Door
glass has been replaced and Chris Bell will be contacting the owners
of No 1 Newhouses with regards to the bill.

Private
Parking sign demonstrations are being arranged by Tony Mitchell.

The
broken washbasin hasn’t been fixed yet, the problem with the shower
temperature control is under investigation and the washbasin cold tap
isn’t working.

Plans
to register the hut with the Land Registry are ongoing and as No 3
Newhouses are also registering their land Chris Bell is looking into
the feasibility of some rationalisation of the boundaries.

Stair:

It
is believed that planning permission for the porch has been approved
but we are awaiting official confirmation. Tony Hulme has offered to
provide a quote for the work.

Newsletter:

The
newsletter has now been sent out.

There
is the possibility that it will be possible to produce future
newsletters in partial colour but this will involve strict deadlines
on getting the newsletters to the printers.

Social
Secretary
:

The
summer walks syllabus was discussed and Martin Dale/John Wiseman will
coordinate the walks with the evening climbing meets.

A
reminder was provided that it is the Dave Earle slide show in a
couple of weeks.

Tony
Mitchell reported that due to work commitments he would be unable to
run the introductory members meet on 14th-15th
April – Clive Bell offered to run it instead. Tony will put
something out, via email and/or the website, advertising the meet.

Clive
Bell is arranging the syllabus cards and Tony Mitchell will also
produce some posters detailing the meets. Martin Dale noted that the
discount list on the current cards was out of date as Kentdale
Rambler no longer exists and Mountain Factor needed to be added.

Any
other Business:

A
letter is to be issued to Les Ward thanking him for his work on the
committee.

The
club’s membership of the BMC needs to be sorted out as the previous
membership expired at the end of December, Martin Dale will do this
asap. Given the impact this has on the club’s third party liability
insurance the committee decided that we need to be much stricter in
the future about membership fees being paid on time (October) so that
the Membership Secretary has sufficient time to complete the
necessary paperwork. John Wiseman will add a reminder to the August
newsletter reminding everybody of the need for prompt payment and
Tony Mitchell will add a note to the next newsletter extolling the
virtues of using a standing order to make payments.

Liz
Hird is looking into the possibility of annual membership cards and
will provide costings for the next meeting.

Les
Ward’s suggestion from the AGM that guest fees should be increased
was discussed and rejected as not necessary at the current time.

The
continuation of the winter Scottish meets was discussed and decision
was taken not to make any changes at the current time.

Liz
Hird asked if consideration could be given to getting new chairs for
the huts as the current ones were getting very worn. The committee
agreed and tasked Chris Bell and Liz with getting some new
folding/stacking chairs which would initially be tried out at
Langdale to check their durability and suitability. The bench at
Langdale will also be replaced.

The
potential incorporation of the club was discussed but further advice
is needed before it can be put to the club (legal requirements
necessitate a general meeting of the club in order to incorporate).
Advice will be sought from the BMC on this matter.

A
discussion was held about whether or not the club should do anything
to commemorate Chris Ikin – John Wiseman will discuss this with
Barry. A wider discussion was held on the issue of commemorations and
it was felt that each case would have to be taken on it’s own
merits.

John
Wiseman observed that the fell race trophy hadn’t been presented at
the club dinner due to it not being recovered from a previous winner
(and the absence of the current tile holder). It is believed that
Joanna Goorney has the trophy and Claire Addy will be asked to check
with her next time she sees her.

The
poor attendance at Langdale working weekends was discussed and Kevan
Ebbrell suggested that “Things to do” lists be produced for each
of the huts and put on the club website so that anybody with some
spare time can fix any small jobs without having to wait for a full
working weekend – Accepted.

Sue
Denmark commented that a few members were now CRB registered but that
the club still needed to get some climbers CRB registered. Martin
Dale and Tony Mitchell are both in the process of arranging their
registration.

The
committee meal will take place at the Cartford Arms (Kevan Ebbrell
booking) on Tuesday 27th March, meeting at 19:30 for a
20:00 start – Les Ward and Dave Ball both to be invited.

Next
Meeting
: Wednesday 2nd May 2007 at 20:00 hours at
the Wyre Lounge. (Tony Mitchell checking availability)

Leave a Reply