Committee Meeting Minutes 16th October 2007

with No Comments

Minutes of the FMC Committee Meeting held on Tuesday 16th of October 2007Held at the Conservative Club, Kirkham 

Present. Clive Bell, Darren Hartley, Chris Bell, Martin Dale, Liz Hird, Sue Denmark, Les Ward, Kevan Ebbrell.


Apologies. Andy Dunhill, Mike Penn, John Wiseman, Tony Mitchell, Chris Thistlethwaite.

 Matters Arising.

As a result of a conversation between Sue and Mike Penn over the AOB item concerning Junior Membership in the meeting minutes of 20th of August, Sue now wished the committee to reverse its decision and not put the matter before the next AGM. Following discussion on the matter the committee agreed to Sue’s request therefore the matter will not be raised by the committee at the AGM.

 Secretary Report. 

Nothing to report.

 

Booking Secretary Report.


Clive reported on Chris’s behalf that there was an issue with a firm (name not available) who had not paid hut fees because they had not received an invoice from the club. The general view was that Chris should create an invoice and send it to them if that was the only reason for their non-payment. 

 

Treasurer Report.


Liz reported the following matters: –


Ø      103 members had renewed their subscriptions to date.


Ø      The new plastic membership cards have been ordered (250 @ 55p each).


Ø      The electricity supplier Powergen had refunded to the club £1381.80 against the Stair account and £20.04 against the Little Langdale account. Liz informed the committee that there was still an issue over the mysterious third meter at Stair that Powergen claim to be there but no member has set eyes on.


Ø      The guest speaker at the recent evening social Boyd Harris was owed his fee as there was no one there on the night to sign the cheque. After some discussion it was agreed that the £25 fee he requested was too little and that it would be increased to £75.

 

Membership Secretary Report.


Martin reported that since the last meeting it had been quiet regarding applications for Introductory Membership and that out of four application forms for full membership that he had sent out only two had been returned.


The committee accepted applications for full membership from Liam Gaston and Phil Kendrick.


Further to Martins suggestion to hold a “Meet the FMC” at Blackpool Climbing Wall to encourage new applicants he also added that we need some form of literature to be available e.g. Posters, Flyers etc. After much discussion on availability of suitable posters Clive agreed to contact Dave Ball to ask him to create something.

 Langdale Hut Custodian Report.

Chris reported the following matters: –


Ø      The electrical work was almost complete a new consumer unit was fitted and new sockets have been installed in the lounge, kitchen and dormitories.


Ø      The recovering of the staircase was still outstanding.


Ø      The Land Registry is still ongoing.


Ø      The November Working Meet will concentrate on sorting out the gas e.g. the fire and fireplace and possibly the gas hobs, worktops and electric hobs should Chris be able to source them in time.


Ø      A member had suggested that it was about time that new bunks were acquired as the current ones were very old. This was generally thought to be a good idea but that there were more important matters to attend to first.


Liz reported that further to the attempt to get the Council to provide a large bin it now transpired that they were embarking on a Recycling scheme and had already provided two wheelie bins. Liz has also contacted Allerdale Council asking them about their intentions regarding recycling at Stair, but has not received a response.

 Stair Hut Custodian Report.

Andy was not present but reported by email prior to the meeting as follows: –


The recent Working Meet was well attended.


Ø      Work was carried out on a number of trees with branches that were giving concern, branches that could safely be removed were done so. Andy wishes to get the services of a Tree Surgeon to assess and deal with some of the trees.


Liz said that she would contact Powergen and ask them to look at the tree threatening the power lines.


Ø      The watercourse was cleaned out and the outside table cum bench repainted.


Ø      A problem with the Storage Heater was remedied and a problem with the water heating was remedied by replacing the heating element. However the repair to the heating element resulted in a leak in the cistern that required further repair work.


Ø      All the rooms in the hut were cleaned including the kitchen appliances, toilets, showers, bunks etc.


Ø      For the future Andy still has plans to go all electric at the hut.


Ø      Andy believes that the club should start preparing for a new roof and that it should be pitched. This would enable the creation of a number of separate dorms sleeping 4 or 6 persons rather than increasing the number of sleeping spaces.


Chris Bell advised that we were struggling to get a builder for extension (at the right price). Sue said she would ask some friends who lived in Keswick if they new of anyone who might be interested.

 News Letter Editor Report.

Tony was not present but had sent word that with luck the News Letter would be in the post by the weekend of the 20/21st of Oct.

 What’s On Editor Report.

John was not present but reported by email prior to the meeting as follows: –


Ø      Attendance at the evening social on the 10th of Oct was very poor which was a shame because the guest speaker Boyd Harris was very good.


Ø      John requested that if anyone wanted anything to go in the next What’s On they should inform him a.s.a.p. as he intends to go to print on Oct 22nd.

  Social Secretary Report.

Other than the comments in What’s On re Boyd Harris there was nothing to report.

 Any Other Business.  

Ø      Liz reported that Drew would not be able to do the Kayaking Meet on 10/11th of Nov therefore no kayaks, but Stair would still be available. Drew will put out an email to this effect.


Ø      Martin was concerned that nothing had been sent out about the Annual Dinner to be held at the Coldale. Clive said he would contact Mark Harding on the matter. It was also pointed out that Mark would require an up to date address list of current members and address labels.


Ø      Clive informed the committee that he had received information from Cotswold that they would be holding a special discount day at Preston on Wednesday the 24th of Oct. Members will need to quote our discount code F2094 to get 20% discount on the day (normal discount is 15%). Clive said he would send out the information by email.


Ø      Les passed on a request from John Wiseman who wants any anecdotes about Jack Jowett.


Ø      Martin reported that no one had taken up the invitation to attend Chester Mountaineering Club’s invitation to their annual dinner that was held on the 13th of October. Martin had informed their Indoor Meets Secretary Gill Burbidge and thanked them for the invitation.


Ø      Martin thanked the committee for the Cotswold gift vouchers given to him by the committee members for his 50th birthday.

 Next Meeting.  Tuesday 27th of November 2007, 20.00 hours at the Conservative                          Club, Kirkham. 

Minutes compiled by Kevan Ebbrell.

Leave a Reply