Committee Meeting Minutes 3rd March 2008

with No Comments

Minutes of the FMC Committee Meeting held on Monday 3rd of March 2008Held at the Conservative Club, Kirkham 

Present. Clive Bell, Darren Hartley, Chris Bell, Martin Dale, Andy Hird, Tony Mitchell, Sue Denmark, Jennie Tolly, Adam Dunderdale, Mike Howe, Kevan Ebbrell.


Apologies. Andy Dunhill, Chris Thistlethwaite.

 Chairman’s Address.

Clive opened the meeting by welcoming the new committee members. He then went on to inform the committee that we needed to give priority to drafting the 08/09 Syllabus and if possible the summer evening walk/climbing programme.

 Matters arising from and acceptance of the minutes of the previous meeting.

The minutes of the meeting held on 27/11/07 were accepted, there were no matters arising.

 Secretary’s Report. 

There was nothing to report.


Darren enquired as to the status of the Car Stickers, Badges etc that had been subject to a stock reduction exercise. Kev said he would enquire and report back.

 

Booking Secretary’s Report.


There was nothing to report.


Mike asked if the matter over the outstanding monies from Impact for hut hire had been settled. No one present knew so it was left for Mike to contact Chris. Mike also stated that he would look into setting up an Invoice system in case such problems arose again.

 

Treasurer’s Report.


Mike confirmed that he had taken possession of the Treasurers documents and records etc from Liz and that he now required Cheque signatory authority. It was agreed that the three authorised cheque signatories be Mike Howe Treasurer, Clive Bell Chairman and Andy Hird Committee Member. Mike advised the committee that he was going to look into Internet banking for the club.

 

Membership Secretary’s Report.


Martin presented three applicants for full membership to the committee.


Robin Andrews was accepted as a full member. Stephen Plant was not accepted as a full member as he had not attended any meets. Martin to advise him that he remains an introductory member and that whilst he may find it difficult to attend weekend meets there are evening meets he could attend that the committee would take into consideration when reapplying. Fraser Smith was not accepted as a full member for the same reasons as S. Plant, Martin to advise him accordingly. 


A discussion took place on how we could operate the BMC multi membership subscription reclamation scheme for members who subscribe via membership of several clubs or as individuals. The consensus was that it was too difficult to do.

 

Martin raised a matter brought to his attention by Tony Mitchell, that of the creation of a group called Forum For Clubs whose aims were to get clubs working together, share information and expertise etc. The first meeting is to be held at the Wayfarer’s Hut in Langdale on the 12th of April. Tony volunteered to attend.


.

Langdale Hut Custodian’s Report.

Chris reported the following matters: –


Ø      The septic tank situated in the grounds of No 3 needs replacing. Stella, owner of No 3 had acquired a quote of £2350 for the job of which she had suggested that we contribute £950 as our share of the cost. It was Chris’s opinion that we should accept the quote and the suggested share of the cost, the committee agreed.


Ø      Land Registry is still ongoing, the firm of solicitors acting for us has appointed a new solicitor to act on our Registry, Chris is to contact him. Stair is already registered with the LR


Ø      The Gas bottles need removing, the supplier has been informed.


Ø      The recovering of the staircase was almost complete but the work was of poor standard and will be done again.


Ø      The new Water Heater still needs fitting (plumbing/wiring)

 Stair Hut Custodian’s Report.

Andy was not present but Martin gave a report on the recent working meet stating that about a dozen people had attended. The work included general clean up, tiling, fence repair, gutter and drain cleaning, tree pruning and bramble clearance. As per usual they were all well fed by Andy and Christine.

 

Chris Bell reported that detailed discussions on the Stair porch extension were being held with the proposed contractor Helvelyn based in Keswick. During discussions the subject of asbestos had been raised and whilst it was thought that there was none in the building Chris and Andy would look into the matter and determine if a formal survey was required, if so they would organise such.


Mike requested that once contracts had been signed Bill phasing would operate.


On the matter of a pitched roof, Chris reported that he had given copies of roof plans to a Quantity Surveyor to enable a more accurate costing.

 News Letter Editor Report.

Tony reported that following the loss of the long awaited News Letter and his laptop computer when his works vehicle was stolen in Skelmersdale, the insurance company had agreed to pay for the losses. He stated that it was his intention to try and reproduce the lost edition but the retrieval of the complete content was unlikely, as the printer had not retained the information.

 What’s On Editor’s Report.

Whilst John is away in New Zealand Mike Howe has taken on the job of producing and publishing What’s On, Mike reported that the latest edition had gone out last week. Mike was thanked for his efforts. 

 Social Secretary’s Report.

There is currently no Social Secretary.


Ø      Clive stated that providing the committee agreed he would contact John Wiseman and ask him if he would agree to be co-opted onto the committee as Social Secretary. The committee agreed.


Ø      Clive reported that the 2008 Annual Dinner would be held at the Middle Ruddings, Braithwaite.

 Any Other Business. 

Ø      Clive advised the committee that Dorothy Jowett was going to provide a photo of Jack and that he would get it suitably mounted for hanging at Little Langdale.


Ø      Andy raised the matter of insurance cover for when building work was going on at Stair. Mike said he would contact the BMC for clarity on the matter.


Ø      Andy advised the meeting that the BMC had sent out emails requesting volunteers for a clean up of Houghton Quarry on the 8th of March.


Ø      Following the discussion at the recent AGM on the acquisition of harnesses and helmets for use by juniors when under climbing instruction, Adam stated that he could in all probability get the club a very good deal from the Alpine Centre, Blackpool where he worked. Sue said she would contact the BMC for advice on the management of the equipment and Andy finished off the discussion by informing the committee that he was applying for BMC CRB approval and that he would be happy to procure and look after the equipment.


Ø      Sue advised the meeting that she could not lead the April Introductory/Junior Member Meet. Andy volunteered to lead it on her behalf.


Ø      Mike asked for clarification on who should have copies of the membership list as both he and Martin had been working on the lists accuracy with regard to email addresses etc. It was resolved that Martin was to have overall control as Membership Secretary and that the Chairman and the secretary should have up to date copies. When Mike and Martin are happy with the current update a copy may be made available to all members.


Ø      The committee resolved that the 2009 AGM will be held on Wednesday the 25th of February.


Ø      The committee resolved that the Committee Dinner be held on Tuesday the 18th of March at the Wyre Hotel. Darren Proposed that the club contribution to the meal should be increased to £15 per member, this was seconded by Sue and agreed by a majority vote in favour by the committee. Kev to organise.

 

The rest of the meeting was devoted to the compilation of the 2008/9 Syllabus and the Evening Walk Programme with Clive taking the notes. Clive will send out the draft Syllabus and Walk Programme to the committee for comment when he has completed them. Martin will work on the draft Evening Climbing Programme.

 Next Meeting.  Tuesday 29th of April 2008, 20.00 hours at the Conservative                          Club, Kirkham. 

Minutes compiled by Kevan Ebbrell.

Leave a Reply