Committee Meeting Minutes 23rd of June 2008

with No Comments

Minutes of the FMC Committee Meeting held on Monday 23rd of June 2008Held at the Conservative Club, Kirkham 

Present. Clive Bell, Chris Bell, Martin Dale, Andy Hird, Jennie Tolley,

Sue Denmark, Adam Dunderdale, Mike Howe Kevan Ebbrell.

Apologies. Andy Dunhill, Darren Hartley, Chris Thistlethwaite, Tony Mitchell,

John Wiseman.

 Matters arising from and acceptance of the minutes of the previous meeting.

The minutes of the meeting held on 29/04/08 were accepted. There were two matters arising:-

Ø      Sue acknowledged that she had still to act on the matter of members with enhanced CRB’s and writing to the BMC.

Ø      Adam advised the committee that he had written to the Climber magazine regarding putting pressure on the BMC to provide more support on CRB’s, Junior Membership etc, but that to date he had not had a reply.

 Secretary’s Report. 

Kev reported that the following:-

Ø      Committee and AGM Minutes were now posted on the club’s website and those members on email had been advised accordingly.

Ø      The solicitor has been informed by telephone and letter of the change to trustees of the Stair property and requested to take the appropriate action.

Ø      Andy had been informed of the report on the septic tank at Stair.

Ø      The room at the Wyre Hotel has been booked, see post meeting note on last meeting minutes.

Ø      Kev asked if there were any comments regarding the receipt and distribution to the committee of an email and document from Steve Giles of Merseyside MC regarding Clubs and the BMC. There was little comment and no apparent appetite to take matters further.

 

Booking Secretary’s Report.

There was no report from Chris.

 

Treasurer’s Report.

Mike reported the following:-

Ø      Premium Account £21122, Current Account £4300

Ø      Known financial commitments L/Langdale Septic Tank £950, Stair Septic Tank to be advised but likely to be around £2500, Stair Extension £17000 (approx), Asbestos Surveys £950.

Ø      The ongoing saga with Eon regarding the meter readings etc at Stair rumbles on. Mike had received a letter asking that he or someone be at Stair so that Eon could read the meters, but the letter was received whilst Mike was away. Andy reported that Liz was still actively trying to sort matters out and that she had recently had a conversation with someone at Eon who had advised her that the meters had been read recently and that they would be sending her a revised Bill and accompanying letter. To date nothing has been received and Liz is now going to write to Ofgen with a formal complaint about Eon.

 

Mike Howe requested that he be allowed to set up an Internet banking facility for the clubs current account, and that as a safeguard for the club and the individual(s) operating the account a second person be allowed full access to the account. The committee unanimously agreed to the request and that Andy Hird be the second user.

 

Membership Secretary’s Report.

Martin presented a membership application for a new Introductory Member, Stephen Chapman, the applicant was accepted by the committee.

The matter of encouraging new members and getting Introductory to Full membership was again discussed. Adam suggested having dedicated Introductory Climbing Meets and the “Meet the FMC” event was again suggested. On the proviso that Martin sets a date for the “Meet the FMC” event Sue offered to sort out some posters and Adam also offered to produce one. Sue and Adam to have draft posters available for the next meeting. 

Martin advised that the Membership List was available for distribution to the membership. The actual production and distribution was to be co-ordinated with the publication of the next News Letter (see News Letter Sec:).

.

Langdale Hut Custodian’s Report.

Chris reported the following matters: –

Ø      The unsatisfactory work on the staircase is being rectified and Chris will inspect it next week. If he does not consider it acceptable he will request a refund.

Ø      The Bin Store in the car park and the gas bottles have been removed during the May working weekend. Also there was a general clean up and the Lounge given a coat of paint.

Ø      New pillows and cases and a vacuum cleaner have been procured.

 

Clive reported that the acquisition of a suitable memorial bench for Jack Jowett was still ongoing. It had been hoped that a bespoke bench of a very high quality could have been procured from Kirkham Prison but they have ceased production for the present time.

 

A discussion took place on the possible replacement of the metal bunks. Whilst there was general agreement that to replace them was not a bad thing the fact that the club has a large amount of expenditure in the offing means it will have to wait.

 

Kev raised the matter of testing of electrical appliance frequency as he had recently noticed labels on appliances at Stair that stated they should not be used after 21/04/08. It appeared that there was a lack of consistency in our approach to testing. Andy Hird advised that the labels at Stair be removed and that he would provide information on the testing requirements.

 Stair Hut Custodian’s Report.

Andy was not at the meeting and reported the following matters by email.

Ø      Plans showing the drains have been found. The plans are required to facilitate installation of a Grease Trap

Ø      Andy met with a representative from Unbloc Cumbria and agreement on the work to refurbish the Septic Tank was finalised, this includes the installation of a Grease Trap. A revised quote will be sent.

Ø      The outside light over the car park is not working and it needs the attention of an Electrician.

Ø      Whilst the Electrician is on site Andy is to ask him to install an Electric Hob to replace the gas appliances.

Ø      Some of the sinks and toilets are showing signs of wear and tear (cracks, leaks etc) and may require replacing.

Ø      The overflow in the Gents has been dripping and the Economiser is playing up, so both need attention. 

 

Andy Hird expressed concern about the hot water supply at Stair stating that there is a potential health hazard with stored hot water and that it would be much better to have a hot water on demand system. This matter will be given further consideration.

 

Chris advised the committee that the Asbestos Surveys had been received and that there was no asbestos in Stair and a very small amount near one of the sinks at Little Langdale. The report was a requirement to enable building work to be carried out at Stair, whilst this was being carried out it was thought prudent to have a similar survey for Little Langdale.

 

Chris Bell reported that the potential for the Stair extension to be undertaken by a club member had come to nothing and that it was now his strong recommendation that we instruct Helvellyn Construction of Keswick to undertake the work. The all up cost including electrical work was now estimated at around £17,000 with the building cost at £15000, Chris has asked Helvellyn for a final figure. The committee unanimously agreed in principal that Helvellyn be given the job on the proviso that final costs did not differ greatly from the figure quoted by Chris at this meeting. Chris will provide accurate costs to the committee by email when he has then to hand and ask for permission to proceed if the figures are acceptable.

 

The committee agreed that as there was a considerable amount of expenditure in the offing, all known costs for work to be carried out at Little Langdale and Stair and other associated items are to be provided to Mike Howe (Andy and Chris please note) who will then compile a list and send it out to the committee for consideration.

 News Letter Editor Report.

Tony was not present but sent the following report via Martin:- The News Letter is being prepared but material is required for two blank pages, so if anyone has anything to contribute could they let him have it a.s.a.p. as he wants to publish the News Letter before going to France in three weeks time.

The committee tasked Clive with contacting Tony to ask him to send the News Letter out even if there were two blank pages and also to liase with Martin so that the Membership List could be posted along with the News Letter. 

 What’s On Editor’s Report.

John was not present but had asked for inputs for the next edition of What’s On by Thursday 26th of June.

 Social Secretary’s Report. Sue was handed a letter from Dave Earle (for which we thank him) that listed a number of people he thought suitable to give presentations at the winter socials, also offering his own services. The names of several other people were given to Sue during the meeting. The socials will be held on the following dates at the River Wyre Hotel, October 8th, November 12th, December 10th, January 14th, February 11th, March 11th  all Wednesdays.    Any Other Business. 

Ø      Clive advised the committee that Mike Penn has suggested the hiring of a Juke Box for the annual dinner instead of a DJ. The suggestion received very little support.

Ø      Clive has put together an article for the Climber Magazines Club Page. The draft has been sent to committee members by email for comment prior to being sent to the magazine Editor.

Ø      Martin advised the committee that the BMC were holding a ‘Thank You’ event this coming weekend for those who had assisted with the Longridge project. A number of invitations had been received and Martin will be sending out information to members on email

 Next Meeting.  Monday 1st of September 2008, 20.00 hours at the Conservative                          Club, Kirkham. 

Minutes compiled by Kevan Ebbrell.

Leave a Reply