Committee Meeting Minutes 5th of January 2009

with No Comments

Minutes of the FMC Committee Meeting held on Monday 5th of January 2009Held at the Conservative Club, Kirkham 

Present. Chris Bell, Andy Hird, Jennie Tolley, Mike Howe, Darren Hartley, Adam Dunderdale, Kevan Ebbrell.

Apologies. Clive Bell, Martin Dale, John Wiseman, Andy Dunhill, Sue Denmark, Chris Thistlethwaite, Tony Mitchell.

 Matters arising from and acceptance of the minutes of the previous meeting.

The minutes of the meeting held on 03/11/08 were accepted. There were no matters arising.

 Secretary’s Report. 

Kev reported the following:-

Ø      The legal formalities associated with the Stair Trustees were now completed. Chris Bell advised that the Registration of Little Langdale was still not completed.

Ø      A letter of resignation had not been received from Peter Ray a trustee of Little Langdale who is not a member of the club. Kev had spoken again to Peter asking for a letter, he promised to send another claiming that he had sent a letter several weeks ago. The committee resolved not to proceed with the appointment of a replacement until the secretary had received a letter of resignation.

Ø      The query regarding civil liability insurance with regard to the clubs properties has been resolved. BMC have advised that the BMC Civil Liability Policy covers the club as an entity.

Ø      The saga of the memorial bench continues as Kirkham Prison had yet again failed to honour a promise regarding the availability of a bench. One will be obtained from another source.

Ø      A review had been carried out of committee actions relating to the 08/09 AGM’s and a copy sent to all committee members by email. In conjunction with this the committee was reminded that committee sponsored proposals for the AGM needed to be drawn up and presented in good time (by 14th of Jan) and that Officers Reports had to be in the secretaries possession by the first week of February. The AGM circular needs to be with members by the 14th of February.

 

Booking Secretary’s Report.

There was no report from Chris.

 

Treasurer’s Report.

Mike reported the following:-

Ø      The clubs year end bank balance stood at £13651.

Ø      The total cost of the Stair extension was £18328. This included Planning, Surveys, Storage Heater, and Dehumidifier etc. It does not include costs associated with work that the club will carryout.

Ø      Items that will incur significant cost still to come are the BMC subscription and work on the septic tanks at both huts.

Ø      The club accounts should be ready and audited by the end of January and there was no reason why they could not be copied to members prior to the AGM. It was agreed that the accounts should go out with the AGM circular early February.

 

Membership Secretary’s Report.

There was no report from Martin.

 

Langdale Hut Custodian’s Report.

Chris reported the following matters: –

Ø      The unsatisfactory work on the staircase has still to be rectified. The contractor has supposedly asked another contractor to do the work. Chris advised that if the matter was not soon concluded in a satisfactory manner then legal advice would be sort with the intention of going to the Small Claims Court.

Ø      New Smoke Alarms had been fitted at the last working weekend.

Ø      The car park sign still hasn’t materialised (S&J D please note).

Ø      The commencement of the refurbishment of the septic tank still awaits Stella, owner of No 3 who is organising matters. 

Ø      As mentioned in the Secretary’s Report the Registration with the L.R. is not yet complete.

Ø      The Electrician was still to report having been asked to check the Circuit Breakers on the showers as they frequently tripped out, and to do a safety check on the electrical system and provide a certificate of such.  

 Stair Hut Custodian’s Report.

Andy sent a brief report by email and had asked for suggestions for the forthcoming working weekend now that the extension work by the contractor was finished, also that he had asked the plumber to install a new shower and sort out several other little jobs.

The committee suggested that we should concentrate on painting the interior of the extension including the floor and planning what was required in both the extension and drying room. A suggestion from Andy that the walls of the extension should be Pine clad like the main room was not met with a great deal of enthusiasm. It was resolved that the walls should be painted for now.

Ø      Chris Bell reported that the contractor had sorted out the electrical problems associated with the extension.

Ø      Chris advised that he would speak to Andy about a suitable safe in which to hold hut fees. Andy Hird offered to assist and Mike Howe would be prepared to have a go at modifying one if not entirely suitable for the job.

Ø      A discussion on the merits of installing cavity wall insulation in the hut resulted in unanimous agreement that we pursue this matter and look into the costs etc.

Ø      There was much discussion on whether Mountain Bikes should or should not be permitted in the huts. The majority view was that they should be left outside as having them in presented potential a health & safety hazards and also brought in muck. It was agreed that some simple form of security for bikes be provided outside and Andy Hird offered to look into it. There was also a view that hut rules should be amended to ban bikes from the huts.

Ø      Jennie reminded the meeting that the monies collected from the sale of Mike’s gear was given to the club with the intention of it being used for hut improvement. Also that the slate plaque was ready and the working weekend would be a good opportunity to install it. Kev agreed to collect the plaque from Jennie and take it up to the hut.

Ø      Mike enquired if anyone new why we had a Trade Refuse Collection contract with Allerdale Council. This contract resulted in a collection twice a week at a cost of £10 a week. It was agreed that a normal collection service would suffice and no one present new anything about the contract. Mike said he would see if Andy Dunhill had further information on the matter.

 News Letter Editor Report.

Andy Hird gave the committee a preview of the next edition of the News Letter, which he proposed to send out within the next couple of weeks. Andy praised John Wiseman for the excellent work in putting the publication together.

 What’s On Editor’s Report. There was no report from John but it is understood that the next edition of What’s On will be out soon.  Social Secretary’s Report. Sue (who wants it clearly understood that she is not the Social Secretary) and John have produced new posters advertising the remaining three winter socials, these have now been posted around the area by several committee members. Mike Howe volunteered to send out an email reminding members of the next social featuring Bill Birkett on the 14th of Jan. Any Other Business. 

Ø      Jennie showed the committee a framed picture donated by Jon Allison in memory of Mike. The picture will be displayed at Little Langdale.

Ø      Mike enquired if there was any opposition to the Members List being sent out in the light of concerns raised by John Wiseman at the previous meeting regarding member’s addresses etc being made available to all members in electronic form. The committee again voiced its opinion that it could see no problem in posting out the list with the next News Letter. If this was done annually there should be no need for distribution in electronic form.

Ø      Adam stated that he needed a date for inclusion in the poster for the Meet The FMC event that he had produced.

Ø      Darren suggested that we postpone further debate on the health & safety issues raised by the BMC Hut Seminar and Andy’s related brief until the next meeting. Also that at the next meeting we make a start on the 09/10 Syllabus.

 

   Next Meeting.  Monday 9th of Febuary 2009, 20.00 hours at the Conservative                          Club, Kirkham. 

Minutes compiled by Kevan Ebbrell.

Leave a Reply