Committee Meeting Minutes 20th of July 2009

with No Comments

Minutes of the FMC Committee Meeting held on Monday 20th of July 2009Held at the Conservative Club, Kirkham 

Present. Clive Bell, Martin Dale, John Wiseman, Chris Bell, Andy Hird, Mike Howe, Adam Dunderdale, Darren Hartley, Kevan Ebbrell.

Apologies. Andy Dunhill, Caroline Webb, Chris Thistlethwaite, Dave Earle, Chris Packman, Mick Dugdale.

 Matters arising from and acceptance of the minutes of the previous meeting.

The minutes of the meeting held on 18/05/09 were accepted. The following matters arose.

Andy Hird reported that he had furnished Trish Brian with a copy of the club’s 40th Journal and returned to her the covers from some of the older journals. In addition Andy confirmed that he had supplied Chris Bell with the details of the new owner of No1 Newhouses.

 Secretary’s Report. 

Kev reported the following:-

Ø      The trustee change documents for Little Langdale have been returned to the solicitor.

Ø      The Deeds of Easement that will form part of the registration of Little Langdale and No3 Newhouses with the Land Registry had been received from the solicitor. However there were a number of queries over the content including some very fundamental errors in the documents, these have been highlighted to the solicitor along with a request for an estimate of charges associated with the registration and recent trustee changes.

Ø      Following on from a letter received from the OREAD MC, offering the use of their hut at Heathy Lea and an emailed response stating that we had not used it for some time because of the poor conditions. An email had been received from Colin Hobday their Hut Secretary advising that the hut had been redecorated, but that it was after all basic accommodation and not a holiday let. The committee’s view is that we may consider it as a venue for the next syllabus.

Whilst on the subject it was also remarked upon that the committee had agreed that we would get in touch with the Vag’s regarding a hut exchange for next year. Clive said he would sort it out.

Ø      An appeal from the BMC had recently been received asking for donations towards the improvement and clean up at Wilton Quarry. The committee resolved that a donation of £100 be made.

Ø      A recent offer from the BMC offering free places for Club Youth Officers on a course to be run on the evening of the 14th of September at a venue near Loughbourgh had not met with any volunteers from the committee (Time and distance make it impractical).

Ø      The first draft of a Rule Book revision combining our current rules with the latest BMC model for a clubs rulebook had been produced and copies sent to Clive, Mike and John (as a sub-committee) for comment prior to making it available to the rest of the committee.  

 

Booking Secretary’s Report.

There was no report from Chris.

 

Treasurer’s Report.

Mike reported the following:-

Ø      The clubs bank balance stood at £6509 net.

Ø      Recent work on the trees at Stair had cost £1380 and that a bill for £1000 had been received for electricity used at Stair. Additional items of significant future expense that are known about are the septic tank at Little Langdale and the shed for Stair.

 

Membership Secretary’s Report.

Martin presented applications for Introductory membership from Ann Williams, Alexandra Ashworth and Stephen Powell. The committee accepted all three applications. Application for Full membership from Dan and Mikala Tolley was presented, both applications were accepted.

 

Martin enquired if our application for a free advert on UK Climbing had gone ahead as he had been advised that other clubs who were advertising on the website had seen in increase in membership applications. Adam responded that there had been a snag over contact email addresses on the site and Dave Ball had been asked by email to help out. As no further progress had been made he and Darren would pursue the matter further.  

 

Langdale Hut Custodian’s Report.

Chris reported the following matters: –

Ø      With regard to the unsatisfactory work on the staircase, the contractor had done further work but in Chris’s opinion whilst there was much improvement some of it was still unsatisfactory. In order that we can bring this long running saga to a close Chris proposes to ask the contractor for some materials so that we can finish the job to our satisfaction.

Ø      The registration with the Land Registry is delayed, as a Deed of Right of Way is required to ensure unrestricted access to the property via the side and rear of No3 (See Secretary’s Report). Chris advised that he would be discussing this matter with Stella in the near future.

Ø      The car park sign still hasn’t materialised. Chris advised that he would be contacting John Denmark on the matter.

Ø      The commencement of the refurbishment of the septic tank still awaits Stella, owner of No3 who is organising matters. 

 Stair Hut Custodian’s Report.

Andy reported the following by email.

  • The hot water was not working again despite doing so a couple of weeks ago!
  • The ladies shower is on the way out so I’ll have to get the plumber to put a

new one in

  • Working weekend task ideas are:

-Cut back all hedges on the roadside.

-Cut the grass around the cottage.

-Paint the outside wall of the Porch if not done before.

-Do base for the shed.

-Re-paint the floor of the Porch.

-Varnish the door from the Porch to the main room.

-Think of a solution to cover the windowsill in the Kitchen above the sink.

-Decide how to cover the screw holes/wood filler on the doors to the unit

  under the microwave.

-Build an L shaped seat against the wall of the Porch & under the kitchen

  window.

-Put a new light fitting in the main room as one is knackered.

-Think about how we might tidy up the area often used for fires.

This is a starter but there will probably be more. 

On the subject of the water heating, the committee debated solutions to the on going problem with the existing system. Andy Hird suggested that the best solution would be to have two instant water heating appliances to replace the cistern and immersion heater on the grounds of efficiency and health. One heater would serve the Ladies and Gents sinks, the other would be situated under the kitchen sinks. The committee was much in favour of Andy’s suggestion and on that basis he would get one of his works engineers to consider the matter and advise on the appropriate appliances etc. This would then be put to the electrician for a price quote and then the committee for a final decision.

 News Letter Editor Report.

Caroline reported the following by email.

The latest News Letter was complete and on its way to the printers. All being well it should be out within the next two weeks.

 What’s On Editor’s Report.

John thanked Mike Howe for compiling and publishing the last edition of What’s On. The next edition will go out at the end of August along with the usual reminder that subscriptions will be due etc. John also asked for contributions to be sent to him in good time.

 Social Secretary’s Report.

There was no report from Dave Earle.

 Any Other Business. 

Ø      The committee carried out a review of outside booking fees to be effective for 2011 bookings. Having given the matter a great deal of thought and taking into consideration the last two changes to the fees the committee resolved that the current fees for 2010 bookings would apply for stays up to December 2011 and that a review for 2012 booking fees would be carried out mid 2011.

Ø      A discussion on the arrangements for 40th anniversary celebration on the 19th of September of the construction and opening of the hut at Stair took place. A suggestion that photographs of the construction and early days of the hut be sought for a display was accepted. With regard to food and drink etc. it was agreed that a BBQ and Beer would be a good theme, therefore Clive agreed to ask Tony Mitchell to procure two barrels of Deuchars as it went down well at the Little Langdale anniversary bash and also ask Chris Thistlethwaite to procure bangers and burgers from his friendly farmer. Other food and drink procurement will be sorted out nearer the time. It was noted that a Veggie champion will need to get involved in food matters.

Ø      A discussion on the arrangements for the 60th anniversary celebrations next year of the clubs formation took place. After much debate the committee favoured the event taking place at a venue in the Fylde on a Friday night in early October. One possible venue suggested was the Norcross Social Club (or something similar) with a band and food. The venue would ideally provide the catering and it would also need to be able to accommodate a band and also have a quieter area, good reasonably priced beer a necessity. The event would be free (excepting drink) to all members and one guest each, should any ex members wish to attend or a member brings an extra guest there would be a charge to cover food. The idea of providing transport, say a couple of buses was suggested and Clive agreed to look into the practicality and cost.

John will include something about this in the next edition of What’s On inviting members feedback/suggestions etc. Andy will devise an email Straw Poll for members to provide some idea of interest and attendance. 

Ø      Following the decision that the club needed a general advertising poster, Adam presented an example of one that he had created following suggestions from some of the committee. Everyone expressed their satisfaction with it and thanked Adam for his efforts. At John’s suggestion Adam agreed to create another version of the example shown by replacing the climber with a walker. Andy volunteered to produce a number of the posters and get them laminated.

Ø      Adam advised the meeting that Preston Wall would soon undergo a major revamp and improvement to its facilities.

Ø      Adam conveyed an offer from the new manager of Blackpool Climbing Towers for us to use their meeting room free of charge for our committee meetings. However due to the evening closing time of the facility it was considered impractical for use to take up the offer. Adam was asked to convey our thanks to the Manager for his offer.

  

The next committee meeting will be held at Kirkham Conservative Club, 20.00 hours on Tuesday 1st of September.

 

 

Minutes compiled by Kevan Ebbrell.

Leave a Reply