Committee Meeting Minutes 2nd of November 2009

with No Comments

Minutes of the FMC Committee Meeting held on Monday 2nd of November 2009Held at the Conservative Club, Kirkham 

Present. Clive Bell, Martin Dale, John Wiseman, Chris Bell, Mick Dugdale, Mike Howe, Darren Hartley, Andy Dunhill, Dave Earle, Adam Dunderdale, Andy Hird, Kevan Ebbrell.

Apologies. Caroline Webb, Chris Thistlethwaite, Chris Packman.

 Matters arising from and acceptance of the minutes of the previous meeting.

There were no matters arising and the minutes of the meeting held on 01/09/09 were accepted.

 Secretary’s Report. 

Kev reported the following:-

Ø      It was pleasing to announce that Martin had been elected as the Lakes Region representative on the BMC Clubs Committee.

Ø      The BMC had recently circulated to club secretaries by email a proposal for an Opt Out scheme for affiliated club members. The proposal was to be considered by the recently formed BMC Clubs Committee and the BMC required clubs to provide feedback on the proposal. The Opt Out document had been sent out by Kev to members on email for comment and whilst the response was very poor (15 members responded) it was 12 to 3 against the Opt Out proposal, therefore the BMC had been advised that the FMC were opposed to the proposal.

Martin advised the meeting that the BMC Clubs Committee meeting held on October 26th had considered the proposal and it had rejected it with approx 70% of clubs opposed to it. Martin also advised that other clubs had reported a similar poor response from their members when asked to comment on the proposal.

Ø      The second draft of the Rule Book revision was complete and had been sent to the sub-committee members for comment. It was hoped that the sub-committee would get together in the near future to finalise the draft to put before the main committee.

Ø      As the business of agreeing the content of the Deeds of Easement that will form part of the registration of No2 and No3 Newhouses with the Land Registry drags on, Chris Bell had requested Kev to talk direct with Stella Collard with a view to coming to an agreement over the access right wording. Following a discussion with Stella, Kev had suggested some wording that was agreeable to the owners of No3 but there had been divided opinion, therefore there was no agreement from the committee and Trustees. Since the discussion with Stella more information had come to our attention and this had put new light on the matter such that a review of the whole matter was required.

The committee reaffirmed its decision to sign over a small parcel of land situated next to the garden area of No3 and that as things stood we required unfettered access to the rear of our property whilst respecting the privacy of the residents of No3. It had also come to the committee’s attention that one of the clubs members, Chris Campbell, had considerable knowledge and experience of matters relating to land ownership, registration and associated agreements, therefore it was agreed that Chris be consulted and his advice sought on this matter. Kev advised that he would meet with Chris during the Fell Race Meet weekend and that he would advise the committee of the outcome of the meeting.

 

Booking Secretary’s Report.

There was no report from Chris.

 

Treasurer’s Report.

Mike reported the following:-

Ø      The clubs bank balance stood at £8986 net.

Ø      10 members had not paid their subscriptions by the 31st of October and therefore would have to pay an additional £10 if they wished to remain members. The number of unpaid members was a considerable improvement on recent years.

Ø      Items of significant expenditure coming up were the Huts insurance at approx £600 and the shed for Stair at approx £450.

Ø      The current financial position was reasonably satisfactory but we need to be vigilant, as revenue from outside bookings at Stair appeared to be significantly down on previous years whilst Little Langdale was slightly down. The reasons for this are not clear and if this was to continue it would have a detrimental effect on our future financial position.

Ø      New membership cards had been issued to those who had paid their subscriptions.

 

Membership Secretary’s Report.

Martin presented applications for Introductory membership from Sam Sykes, Mark Wilson, Sarah Bruce, Stephen Carnduff and Mark Speakman. The committee accepted all of the applications.

Martin reported that he had sent one application form for full membership but had not as yet received a reply. It was noted that most Introductory members were attending events and that six had attended the recent Intro/Junior Meet at Stair, unfortunately one of these, Sam Sykes, had fallen when climbing and broken his ankle.

 Langdale Hut Custodian’s Report.

Chris reported the following matters:-

Ø      Chris advised that the remedial work on the staircase would be completed at the next working meet in January.

Ø      The registration with the Land Registry is ongoing along with the Deeds of Easement (See Secretary’s Report).

Ø      The car park sign has been installed and the painted sign redone.

Ø      The commencement of the refurbishment of the septic tank still awaits Stella, owner of No3 who is organising matters.

 Stair Hut Custodian’s Report.

Andy reported the following matters:-

  • The water heating has continued to malfunction even though it was thought that the problem had been solved by ensuring that the Immersion Heater timer/booster unit was synchronised with the off peak timer.

Andy Hird informed the meeting that he had removed the time switch then discovered a fault in the switched outlet for the emersion heater. He replaced the switch and the immersion now works in line with the off peak timer i.e. overnight and afternoon boost. However, in hindsight Andy was now of the opinion that the problem may be with the off peak timer having been wired incorrectly by United Utilities. Andy will contact UU on this matter. The intent is still to replace the system whatever the outcome. 

  • Since the last meeting Andy Hird had provided advice on a solution to replace the existing hot water system for which we are very grateful. Armed with this information Andy had a meeting with the plumber at Stair on Saturday 31st of October to discuss options for replacing the water heating system, replacing some of the toilets and wash basins that are cracked and rearranging the Gents. The plumber has been tasked with providing proposals and costs. Once received Andy will inform the committee. It is Andy’s hope that work will be authorised and commenced early in the new year.
  • The shed will be ordered from B&Q by one of the over 60’s with a Wednesday Discount Card thus saving 10%. Delivery will be requested to coincide with the Fell Race/Curry Meet.
  • The problem with the mains electricity cable attachment to the building has been attended to by United Utilities but the attachment still does not appear to be satisfactory. Mike Howe has advised United Utilities of our opinion.
  • On the afternoon of Sunday the 1st of November, Andy was tidying up after everyone had departed from the Bonfire Meet when he heard a vehicle stop at our gate. When he went to investigate he saw someone putting refuse in our wheelie bin, when asked what he was doing the man said he had been at the Carlisle MC Hut down the valley and was getting rid of their weekend waste, it was not clear if he was a CMC member or a guest. Andy pointed out that they had no right to do such a thing but on this occasion he would let it go. It is suspected that this sort of thing has been going on for some time, as it would explain why there was often more waste than one would expect or waste in the bin when no one had been at the hut. It was agreed that Kev would write to the Secretary of CMC on the matter.

Clive advised that he had procured a timer switch for the dehumidifier and that it would be installed at the Fell/Curry Meet.

 News Letter Editor Report.

There was no report from Caroline.

 What’s On Editor’s Report.

John advised that the latest edition of What’s On had been published the week before and that the next edition would go out in two months time. He pointed out that it was becoming evermore expensive to post WO and that there was great savings to be made by emailing WO to those with email addresses who had not as yet requested WO by email. The committee therefore resolved that People with email will only get Whats On by post if they specifically request it i.e. have to "Opt in".

 Social Secretary’s Report.

Dave reported that the Winter Social Programme and venue had been arranged and the room booked for the 2010 AGM. The details have been given to John for inclusion in What’s On. The attendance for the first social of the current programme was very encouraging and there was much praise for Alan Bell’s presentation on a musical journey from Sunderland Point to Dent steeped in social history.

 

Martin raised the matter of Pub Meets advising that he had taken the initiative by organising a meet at the Thatched House, Poulton, for 21.00 on Wednesday 4th of November and again on Wednesday 2nd of December. It was then decided that in January it would be the Trawl Boat, St Annes, on the 6th. The Thatched House in February on the 3rd and The Taps, Lytham, on March 3rd.

 

Darren advised that he and Martin will be organising some evening indoor climbing meets and that they would be sending out the details by email.

 Any Other Business. 

Ø      John raised the matter of the proposed 60th Anniversary event next year and asked how many members had responded to the request in the last two editions of What’s On for their views on the draft proposal. In a response from Clive and Kev it transpired that only one person had responded.

Given the general apathy the committee decided not to continue with the original idea but discussed other ways of marking the anniversary. A 60th Journal had been suggested and Caroline Webb had offered to produce it with the assistance of others. This suggestion was put to the vote and rejected on the grounds of it probably would not differ to much from the 40th, high production cost and that the ill fated 50th Journal had been cancelled on cost grounds at an EGM after a considerable amount of work had been done on it and the 60th could suffer a similar fate. Andy Dunhill suggested that the 2010 Annual Dinner could be used for marking the anniversary and with a little thought made into an event that would attract a good attendance. The committee agreed to Andy’s suggestion.

Ø      Chris Bell asked if anyone had comments on the plans for an extension to No1 Newhouses and the owner’s enquiry about possible membership that he had recently emailed to committee members. There were no adverse comments on the plans but a request for membership for the new owner of No1 was rejected. There were no objections to him being sent copies of What’s On and the News Letter.

Ø      Andy Hird handed over some of the FMC posters that he had produced from Adam’s design. Adam will put the posters up at the Climbing Walls. As Andy H had had problems in getting posters laminated Andy D offered to get them done if someone would send him the design.

Ø      Further to the report from Martin about the BMC Clubs Committee contained in the Secretary’s report, he added that the minutes of the BMC CC would be sent out to all affiliated club secretaries. Also that there would be a separate statement regarding the Opt Out proposal and a request for clubs to advise the BMC of any issues they wanted considering.

Ø      Darren advised that he was still on with the UK Climbing website listing and would be liasing with Dave Ball on the matter. He also confirmed that the FMC had a Classified listing on the site but not a Premier listing as preferred.

Ø      There was a reminder that Officials Reports were to be available for distribution with the January edition of either What’s On or the News Letter.

 

The next committee meeting will be held at Kirkham Conservative Club, 20.00 hours on Monday 11th of January.

 

Minutes compiled by Kevan Ebbrell.

Leave a Reply