Committee Meeting Minutes 8th of March 2010

with No Comments

Minutes of the FMC Committee Meeting held on Monday 8th of March 2010Held at the Conservative Club, Kirkham 

Present. Clive Bell, Martin Dale, John Wiseman, Chris Bell, Mike Howe, Andy Hird, Christine Moylen, Tom Knowles, Kevan Ebbrell.

 

Apologies. Mick Dugdale, Caroline Webb, Tony Mitchell, Alan Lovett, Darren Hartley, Andy Dunhill.

 The Chairman opened the meeting by welcoming the new committee members. Matters arising from and acceptance of the minutes of the previous meeting.

There were no matters arising and the minutes of the meeting held on 01/02/10 were accepted.

 Secretary’s Report. 

Kev reported the following:-


Ø      The draft rulebook is ready for publishing to the general membership following agreement by the committee.


Ø      The AGM Minutes had been circulated to the committee and agreement was made that they could be published to the general membership.


Ø      The HM Land Registry had contacted our solicitor regarding the registration of No2 Newhouses and that HMLR were advising that they would be excluding the old privies (Stick Houses) from our registration. During a recent telephone conversation with Stella Collard she had advised him that an application to register No3 had been submitted using the same solicitor as our selves and that they still wished to have the small triangular piece of land in front of the extension included in the registration of No3. After consultation with Chris Campbell, Kev had advised Stella that we were content to let HMLR arbitrate on the ownership of the triangular piece. 


Ø      Les Ward had advised that he did not want a response from the committee regarding the letter on children at meets submitted to the last meeting as he stated that the matter had been thoroughly discussed at the AGM.


Ø      The BMC had recently sent out information on this years financial support for BMC affiliated clubs, money being available for three categories i.e. Website and News Letter development, Purchase of Mountaineering Equipment and Instruction Support. The details had been forwarded by email to all committee members to consider.


Ø      Thanks to Dave Ball for promptly amending the Booking Secretary details on the club website and also to Martin Kocsis for doing the same with the BMC website.

 Booking Secretary’s Report.

Andy reported the following:-


Ø      He and Liz were now in possession of the outside booking files etc and had been liasing with Chris Thistlethwaite.


Ø      A new version of the Remittance Form had been created to improve records.


Ø      The Hut Rules that we send out need updating. Kev advised Andy that there was a draft updated version in an appendix to the draft new rulebook and that Chis Bell and Andy Dunhill had already been asked to take the lead on updating them. Andy said and he would work with Chris and Andy on the matter.


Ø      2011 was nearly booked up and enquiries for 2012 had been made. The committee decided that we would not take bookings for 2012 until the 1st of January 2011 as we had not decided on club hut use for that year nor decided on the hut fees. Andy was advised to use some discretion with other clubs who use our hut on a regular basis and have huts we use ourselves. 

 

Treasurer’s Report.


Mike reported the following:-


Ø      The clubs bank balance stood at £4696 net.


Ø      Items of significant expenditure since the last report are £1000 on Electricity Bills and £600 on Meet deposits (this money will be recovered from the meets).

 Membership Secretary’s Report.

Martin presented applications for Introductory membership from John Wright and Frank Bowling and an application for Full membership from Mark Bowden. The committee accepted the three applications.

 Langdale Hut Custodian’s Report.

Chris reported the following matters:-


Ø      The septic tank refurbishment work is complete and we await a bill from Stella for our portion of the cost.


Ø      The stairs still require some work to finish the job off.


Ø      The performance (or lack of it) of the electric fire had been brought into question and John had done some research and discovered that a fire similar to the one a Stair that would fit in the old fireplace was available from Dimplex at a cost of approx £250. After a discussion on the matter it was decided that due to financial restraints it was not at present a priority but the Treasurer would include a new fire on the acquisition list. The storage heater in the lounge area had also given cause for concern, as on arrival for the Sausage Meet the downstairs was very cold. After making adjustments to the settings it did appear to be working better although heat was emitting only from about two thirds of its width.

 Stair Hut Custodian’s Report.

There was no report from Andy, however it had been reported that the ladies loo was badly cracked. It was recognised that its replacement was part of the proposed replacement of the water heating system and refurbishment of the toilets but we still awaited a response from the plumber on options and cost.

 News Letter Editor Report.

There was no report from Caroline, however Clive reminded everyone to send articles for the News Letter to Caroline.

 What’s On Editor’s Report.

John advised that the March/April edition of What’s On had been published at the end of February and that the next edition would go out at the end of April.

 Social Secretary’s Report.

Christine asked if her role was just to put together the Winter Social programme. The Chairman replied that was what was expected but that there would be assistance from the committee and the past Social Secretary Dave Earle, an offer to organise a Quiz had already be made by Barrie Crook. Christine was advised that if she had any ideas about other social events she should let the committee know about them. 


A brief discussion took place on the first of the 60th Anniversary events confirming it would be at the River Wyre on the October social evening with a free buffet admission by ticket. A volunteer would be required to contact old members.


Mike enquired as to how many prizes were required foe the Photo Competition this coming Wednesday and it was agreed that there will be a bottle of wine each for first and second in each category and one for the judge.


 

Any Other Business. 

Ø      John handed a hand written letter to the Secretary from Dave Earle which set out Dave’s thoughts on children and others at club meet. Kev said he would scan the letter and send it out to the rest of the committee so that it could be given consideration at a later date. Whilst on the subject Kev advised the committee of Andy Dunhill’s views on children at Working Meets stating that in his opinion there were health & safety issues, but that he was generally in favour of children attending meets. Yet another discussion took place on kids at meets with the Chairman reiterating that something would be sent out to all members on the subject.

Ø      Clive stated that we needed to set a date for the EGM for the new rulebook to be put to the general membership for adoption. It was decided that the favoured date was Wednesday 2nd of June. Post meeting note – It later transpired that the Secretary would be away the first week of June so the Chairman and Secretary decided to change the date to Wednesday 26th of May.

Ø      It had come to light that Dave Westby had been in hospital for some time so Clive said he would send him a card with the committee’s good wishes. Clive also advised that he had sent a card to Karen Barker who had also been in hospital for a long period.


Ø      Martin had received an email from UK Climbing regarding an advert we have in their website. Martin had forwarded the mail to Kev who new nothing about the advert as he believed that Darren had dealt with it in the past. Kev to speak to Darren about it.


Ø      The date for the Committee Dinner was set for Wednesday 21st of April and the venue would be an Italian in Great Eccleston, the time 20.00 ish. Kev to get the number of people attending and Christine to make the booking.


Ø      A brief discussion took place on Hut keys but as it was getting late it was decided to discuss the matter at greater length at the next meeting.

 

The next committee meeting will be held at Kirkham Conservative Club, 20.00 hours on Monday 26th of April.  

 

Minutes compiled by Kevan Ebbrell.

Leave a Reply