MINUTES OF THE 014-6 COMMITTEE MEETING HELD ON 15.12.2014

with No Comments

 

MINUTES OF THE 014-6 COMMITTEE MEETING HELD ON 15.12.2014  AT THE CONSERVATIVE CLUB, KIRKHAM

 

 

 

Present:   Chris Bell, Clive Bell , Darren Hartley, Dave Hicks, Andy Hird, Tony Hulme, Rob Lewis, Steve Longworth, John Wiseman,  Dave Wood

Apologies:

 Andy Dunhill, Martin Dale, Mike Howe, Pete Stridgeon, Caroline Webb

 

 

 

 

 

 

Main points of discussion

Chairman’s Remarks:

 

Darren recognised the work that Steve had done with regard to the dinner.

He mentioned that the website needed to be updated with regard to previous minutes. Rob will do this.

 

 

 

Minutes of the last meeting held on 3.11.2014 &matters arising

 

Minutes were agreed.

 

 

FMC Calendar Review

The committee calendar has been updated.

The dinner for 2015 is to be discussed under Social Secretary’s Report

Mike is to carry out the annual financial review.

Officers’ Reports for the AGM are to be written and compiled for printing.

Members are to be notified about submissions for the AGM via What’s On

Rob is to compile the AGM agenda and collect Officers’ Reports.

The AGM papers are to be sent out by Caroline and Andy D.

Outstanding Actions

Referred to in Action Report

 

Secretary’s Report

 

 

MOST REPORTS ARE SUSPENDED IN FAVOUR OF WORK ON THE SYLLABUS

 

 

Social Secretary’s Report

 

Darren gave the results of a survey which he had instigated with regard to preferences for the location of the next club dinner. The results were as follows:

 

 There were a total of 47 out of 168 members responded (28%) 

1. Would you prefer to see the 2015 AD in the Lakes?                                                26
 
2. Would you prefer to see the 2015 AD on the Fylde?                                                            19
 
3. You regularly attend the AD and would book regardless of location                     22

4, You rarely attend or have never attended but would consider attending a dinner on the Fylde.   14 

Regrettably a total of 11 of those preferring to see the dinner in the lakes also added a comment to the effect that they would probably not attend an event on the Fylde.

The survey had been carried out as there was evidence of some disquiet over the decision, taken at the previous committee meeting, to hold the next dinner on the Fylde. Darren felt that as a result of the survey that we should review our previous decision.

There was considerable discussion about this issue. Dave Hicks probably represented the views of a number of members in saying that although he preferred the Lakes he would attend the Fylde, and Drew was concerned that a vocal minority could skew a decision which had already been democratically considered and taken. Rob felt that Steve had been tasked with researching a venue on the Fylde, he had done this in his usual thorough manner, and a decision had been take to book The Villa in Wrea Green at the last committee meeting. Rob felt that to change now was to undermine the purpose of the committee.

Steve noted that the data supported holding the event in the Lakes but Dave H thought that the evidence was only as good as the questions asked and that many would still go to a Fylde venue. He thought that the results of the survey were not completely conclusive, Drew stated  that only eleven people had categorically said that they would not go to a Fylde event and that we were being over-consultative. The event on the Fylde was predicated on the fact that we had said that we would make it for one year.  Chris believed that we could make a Fylde event a great success and Dave W stated that the event actually started out on the Fylde and that members might attend who might not be able to go to the Lakes. Darren thought that we had to be happy with the decision which was made and we had carried out a canvass of opinion. Chris and Dave H thought that the survey results were not conclusive and Tony stated that the committee can still make the decision. Darren thought that this was still controversial and that we had to be mindful of upsetting people. John thought that the decision should be about what was best for the club. Dave H thought that holding the meal in the Lakes excluded many and there was not overwhelming data. Chris added that the experiment was only for one year.

A vote was taken – the results were 8 in favour of holding the meal on the Fylde, 1 in favour of the Lakes. Darren did not need to exercise his casting vote.

 

 

Booking Secretary’s Report

 

 

Treasurer’s Report

 

Mike stated ( by e-mail) that he has renewed insurance for the huts – advice from BMC was late and we were possibly uninsured for a few days. This was due to a change of insurer but he will take this up with them further for next year. There have been some changes to terms which he will pass on when he has them in detail. Premiums have gone up slightly but we have increased rebuilding costs by about 4%.

Bank balance as of today :  £17,377.10

Membership renewals are complete and 5 people will be deleted at the end of December – we now have 168 members.

We have the affiliation letter from the BMC which Mike will deal with in January. Fees have gone up by £1.50 so his suggestion is that we increase our fees to £28 single and £45 joint. We should also consider the hut fees for members and guests.

The committee should have seen Mike’s assessment of our future financial position.

 

In response to Mike’s action 014/1/7 he has sent the wording to Caroline for inclusion.  He will also be sending an up to date list of members to Caroline to be printed and distributed with the Newsletter.

Mike  spoke to Tony Hulme about repairing / replacing the door at Stair.

He  has also summarised the jobs lists for the huts. These are quite comprehensive lists but there could be additional items. Some of these are minor and should just be left to hut custodians to manage through working weekends or normal contractors. However some are quite major and he thinks we should cost them and prioritise. If we do go ahead with the new roof for Stair we will need to manage other expenses more carefully for a while. Appended as B.

 

Membership Secretary’s Report

 

Dave went through his proposals for rule changes in preparation for the AGM. To clarify the role of the retiring Chair, John suggested that he remain as an ex officio member of the committee for one year. Dave noted that the old Chair could sit alongside the new Chair at first.

There was some discussion of the wording of the document which prohibited the old Chair from standing again for five years. Whilst normally this encourages new blood and is to be encouraged, Rob and Dave H were aware that in exigent circumstances this rule could work against the committee. The issue was solved by Dave suggesting that ‘ordinarily’ be inserted in the wording of the document. It was thought that the elected V.C. should consider him /herself as a future chair, and this should be part of the job description.

Dave’s Rule change suggestions appended under A.

 

 

Langdale Hut Custodian’s Report

 

Chris’ list of jobs to do is appended as D.

 

Stair Hut Custodian’s Report

 

Andy’s list of jobs to do is appended as C.

 

What’s OnEditor’s Report

 

 

Newsletter Editor’s Report

 

 

 

 

 

A.O.B.

 

 

Date of Next Meeting:  12 January, 2015

 

Appendix A.

 

RULE CHANGE PROPOSALS: TENURE OF OFFICE FOR OFFICERS AND COMMITTEE MEMBERS

At the 2014 Annual General Meeting the Committee was invited to further explore any changes that

needed to be made in respect of the nomination and election of Committee members and officers,

particularly relating to periods of tenure of office. Accordingly the Committee will now put forward to the

2015 AGM six proposals for changes to the Club rules. These refer to Section 9 (Election of members of

the Committee) of the rules dated May 2010.

General Preamble

During the past twelve months the Committee has been considering how to ensure that the current

procedures do not present unnecessary barriers to those members who may wish to play a fuller part in

the running of the Club. Unlike many clubs or organisations, the FMC does not have any guidelines or

rules concerning how long a member may hold a particular office. The following proposed changes and

amendments represent an attempt to address this situation and to encourage more open access to

certain officer posts. In making the proposals, the Committee has been mindful of the difficulty that the

Club has had in past years in recruiting members to the Committee. Therefore, there is a need to

balance any such changes with the need to fill posts which, in some cases, require specialist knowledge

or skills.

FIRST PROPOSAL

Preamble: This proposal specifies the maximum length of time that the Chair may serve. It is an addition

to rule 9..1.

Rule 9.1.1. Any full member may occupy the post of Chair for a maximum period of five years

and may not ordinarily stand again for a period of at least 5 years.

SECOND PROPOSAL

Preamble: This proposal is made to support the incoming Chair.

Rule 9.1.2. Following the election of the new Chair, the outgoing Chair will be offered the post of

ex officio Committee member for a period of one year.

THIRD PROPOSAL

Preamble: This proposal is made as part of succession planning and to assist the new Chair.

Rule 9.1.3. Any full member may ordinarily occupy the post of Vice Chair for a period of five

years.

FOURTH PROPOSAL

Preamble: This proposal is an attempt to ensure that ordinary Committee Members have enough time to

understand the workings of the Committee and complete a piece of work. Currently with a schedule of

six meetings per year this is difficult to achieve. If this proposal is adopted rule 9.1 will need to be

amended by deleting the current reference to ordinary Committee members.

Rule 9.1.3. Ordinary members of the Committee shall be elected for a minimum period of two

years and thereafter can stand for re-election to the post on an annual basis. Two ordinary

Committee members shall be elected at each Annual General Meeting. If an ordinary Committee

member resigns after one year the AGM shall elect someone for one year only.

Amended Rule 9.1 All Officers of the Committee are elected to hold the post for a period of

twelve months but are eligible for re-election.

FIFTH PROPOSAL

Preamble: This is simply a revision to rule 9.2 to allow for nominations to be made in advance of the

Annual General Meeting which currently states that full members may propose or second other full

member(s) as candidates the AGM.

Rule 9.2. Any full member may propose or second a proposal of any other full member(s) as

candidates in advance of the Annual General Meeting or at the AGM. If the proposed candidate is

absent, the proposer shall verify the candidate’s willingness to accept the post if elected or the

proposal cannot be accepted.

SIXTH PROPOSAL

Preamble: This is a revision of rule 9.5 which says that four ordinary Committee members shall be

elected together and that a written ballot should be taken if there are more than four candidates.

Amended Rule 9.5 In the election of Officers and ordinary Committee members a ballot will be

taken if there are more candidates than posts available. D.W.21/12/14

 

 

 

 

Appendix B.

POSSIBLE FUTURE HUT WORKS

LITTLE LANGDALE

Work

Estimated cost

Mains powered smoke alarms

 

Repair kitchen ceiling

minor

Consider requirement for opening window to small dormitory & assess feasibility of new 1stfloor front window replacement

 

attend to leaking stop-taps

minor

Renew electric fire in lounge

minor

Provide wood-burning stove, if agreed

 

Replacement of rear high-level gutters

minor

Replace wall tiles to shower cubicles

minor

Renew pavings or provide  land drain and granular  finish to rear path

minor

Provide positive pressure ventilation unit to landing ceiling, if required

 

Replace bunk beds

 

Renew carpet to dormitories

 

 

STAIR

 

Work

Estimated cost

 

New Cooker with a Ceramic Hob

£479 already bought

 

Landscape the garden between the septic tank & the area that has been levelled. We could level part of it to use for more seating area

minor

 

External Storage Facility e.g. a Garden Shed between the walls of the porch & the kitchen

 

 

Land to the south of the cottage – could we buy some more?

 

 

Another picnic table would be useful

minor

 

New roof (sort out barge boards and outside lights at same time)

 

 

Repair / replace front door and sill

 

 

We should look seriously into reconfiguring the sleeping areas to meet the need for sleeping areas with rooms of 2, 4 or 6 beds for privacy. This will increase the usage.

 

 

Porch floor covering

 

 

Protector on the wall angle immediately left of the entrance door

 

 

Erect a wall mounted OS map of the immediate area

 

 

Floor Covering – the tiles are aging & there is some sign of mould in various places around the cottage

 

 

Some people have suggested curtains or blinds in the main room. (Andy doesn’t think they are necessary)

 

 

More plug sockets in main room

 

 

Acquire a taller bookcase as space is limited

 

The Hob is inefficient consider replacement

 

 

Sink unit needs repair or possible replacing

 

 

Recycling  – buy some form of storage facility which can be taken to the recycling point at the Village Hall easily

 

 

One of the Double glazing units in south elevation seems to have failed

 

 

More storage units for drying washing up on wall above the sinks

 

 

Shelving – more would be useful e.g. on the walls above the fire extinguisher & above the hob

 

 

Double glazing unit in south elevation of small room seems to have failed

 

 

Replace the Night Store Heater

 

 

Replace main water tap

 

 

Sink – get some more disks for the plug hole

 

 

Install back ground heating e.g. Night Store Heating that is bathroom compliant

 

 

New shower unit is needed in Ladies ?

 

 

Install back ground heating in Ladies bathroom e.g. Night Store Heating that is bathroom compliant

 

 

         

 

Septic needs regular emptying. We need to establish exactly what we have (I think it is a cesspit rather than a septic tank – MWH). The outlet is a land drain I think should we have a series of filtering mechanisms through stones. Do we have adequate vehicular access to it for maintenance & replacement?

 

Appendix C.

 

Stair Jobs to Do Started July 2014 (Updated Dec 2014)

 

Grounds

Gate – Repair lower rail that has rusted (Now bought)

Gate Post – re position as it has been knocked by a vehicle & is at an angle

Landscape the garden between the septic tank & the area that has been levelled. We could level part of it to use for more seating area

Trees – monitor their health & remove/replace as necessary

Grass – cut whenever feasible

External Storage Facility e.g. a Garden Shed. We could put small one in the angle between the walls of the porch & the kitchen

Dry stone wall adjoining the wood needs constant re-building

Stream needs to be cleaned out at least annually

Land to the south of the cottage – could we buy some more?

Fencing – Monitor

Drains – monitor as they do get blocked

Another picnic table would be useful

Septic needs regular emptying. We need to establish exactly what we have. The outlet is a land drain I think should we have a series of filtering mechanisms through stones. Do we have adequate vehicular access to it for maintenance & replacement?

Exterior of Building

Roof will need replacing in the foreseeable future

Re-paint walls. Last done July 2014

External Lights – monitor the bulbs/ (the one over the car park is out of order & needs a new bulb but long ladders are required to access it

Barge boards. The south elevation is in poor condition & would benefit by covering with the white boarding but there are a lot of wires

Front door is starting to deteriorate

Interior of the Building

General – Many people want sleeping areas with rooms of 2, 4 or 6 beds for privacy. This will increase the usage. We should look seriously into reconfiguring the sleeping areas to meet this need

Porch

Floor covering

Protector on the wall angle immediately left of the entrance door

Erect a wall mounted OS map of the immediate area

Main Room

Floor Covering – the tiles are aging & there is some sign of mould in various places around the cottage

Light unit lengths 1.78m or 70 inches & the other 1.50m or 59, i.e. 6 foot & 5 foot

(Mike’s comment on November 9 – We put a new fluorescent tube in the kitchen over the cooker but it may be worth looking at complete new fittings at a future working weekend – at the moment there are two 4ft in the kitchen and a 5ft and 6ft in the lounge – this could be simplified – maybe all 4ft would be bright enough?)

Some people have suggested curtains or blinds. (I don’t think they are necessary)

More plug sockets

Acquire a taller bookcase as space is limited

Kitchen

New Cooker – ceramic hob & more efficient (Now bought)

The Hob is inefficient consider replacement

Mould often occurs in the corner by the storage units which needs to be washed down regularly

New Microwave (Now bought)

Sink unit needs repair or possible replacing

Floor covering

Light units sometimes hum

                Lengths both are 1.2m or 47 inches i.e. 4 foot(See above)

Get rid of aluminium cooking utensils

Recycling  – buy some form of storage facility which can be taken to the recycling point at the Village Hall easily

One of the Double glazing units in south elevation seems to have failed

More storage units for drying washing up on wall above the sinks

Cleaning – cooker, area behind the cooker, fridges, storage units etc

Shelving – more would be useful e.g. on the walls above the fire extinguisher & above the hob

Main Dormitory

Floor covering

Light units function but do not look very solid

Double glazing unit in south elevation of small room seems to have failed

Mould sometimes occurs at the base of the walls & adjacent to the windows. Monitor & wash down regularly

Re paint walls

New curtains

Replace the Night Store Heater

Small Dormitory

New curtains

Mould sometimes occurs at the base of the walls & adjacent to the windows. Monitor & wash down regularly

Re paint walls

Floor covering

Gents Toilet

Floor covering

Mould sometimes occurs at the base of the walls & adjacent to the windows. Monitor & wash down regularly

Renew surface of entrance to shower currently painted red. Either re-paint or tile

Replace main water tap

Sink – get some more disks for the plug hole

Install back ground heating e.g. Night Store Heating that is bathroom compliant

Ladies Toilet

Floor covering

 

Mould sometimes occurs at the base of the walls & adjacent to the windows. Monitor & wash down regularly

Renew surface of entrance to shower currently painted red. Either re-paint or tile

New shower unit is needed (Now bought)

Install back ground heating e.g. Night Store Heating that is bathroom compliant

Andy Dunhill

July 2014

 

Appendix D

POSSIBLE FUTURE WORKS

TO FMC HUT, LITTLE LANGDALE

 

 

 

1.

Fire Precautions Works:

 

 

  1. Repair defective ceiling to kitchen
  2. Consider requirement for opening window to small dormitory & assess feasibility of new 1stfloor front window replacement.
  3. Consider installation of mains-powered smoke detection installation

 

2.

Instruct plumber to attend to leaking stop-taps.

 

3.

Renew electric fire in lounge.

 

4.

Provide wood-burning stove, if agreed.

 

5.

Replacement of rear high-level gutters.

 

6.

Replace wall tiles to shower cubicles

 

7.

Renew pavings or provide  land drain and granular  finish to rear path.

 

8.

Provide positive pressure ventilation unit to landing ceiling, if required.

 

9.

Replace bunk beds.

 

10.

Renew carpet to dormitories.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Prepared by: Christopher Bell – Hut Custodian

 

Dated: 12thSeptember 2014

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  

 

Leave a Reply